Jan 01 (1)

DAY #224

Hip hop changed the world? Damn right, Channel 4! Fucking ruined it!
I keed, I keed! Although those zombies seem to get a bit more active if you blare rap from your car...
Well, I suppose they must like the repetetive instrumentals, and zombie-like grumbling...
Hehe, it's like... N-dead. Or... Un-Dubz. Or... Um, i'm trying to make an 'undead sounds like N-Dubz' joke...
Ah, make your own.
The streets have never been safe in my opinion... The last thing we need is gun crime in da hood.
Shut up, I'm not mocking it. I'm not trying to be racist or upset people who like the genre... Although I probably will end up doing so.
Yeah, anyway... What I'm trying to address is why I PERSONALLY do not like that type of music... Or... Most of it.
OK, so... To start off, I had better explain to you the main reasons why I listen to music. There are two obvious ones.
Usually, I listen to music as something to do. An experience, if you will. So the song has got to mean something.
Really, I've got to hear something worth hearing. Most of the time, it's got to be something I can relate to...
For example, the band "A" have a song called "Better Off With Him". I like that song. It's catchy, it's got instrumental depth...
Although, it's a bit more than that. It's got an emotion behind it that I can respect and recognise.
Vocals aren't the best, lyrics aren't perfect, but it's got a bit of STORY to it. A listening experience, a human song.
Every song I listen to is... OK, not EVERY song. The other reason I listen to music is because it's just catchy.
Some music is just designed to appeal to that pattern recognition we're all born with. Club music, mainly.
Oh, I do 'like' it... It's difficult to dislike catchy shit. So, for me, music that's catchy AND has a relatable story is best!
Now, with this 'Grime' and 'Hip-Hop' and 'Rap', I don't really get either of these things. Or at least, rarely.
Grime instrumentals are TOO memorable. As in, they're boring. There's nothing to listen to. Most of them.
Right, I know. The backing track isn't the reason people listen to rap music. They listen for the lyrics.
Err, alright, that's fine. I'm all about lyrics too. But with these genres, I can't relate to it at all...
AT. ALL.
Dizzee Rascal may well be the Boi In Da Corna... but I'm not! And he sounds so aggressive about everything!
Exceptions to the rule are, unbelievably, N-Dubz. They've put some thought into their instrumentals, and they're catchy.
Rap, Hip-Hop, Grime... I can't really say it's my main interest. Inventive Rock is where I'm at! Listen to some Vaeda, yeah?
So, to RAP up, let's just say Bob Dylan didn't need a sick beat or a nasty flow or a ghetto dialeck, and he changed the world.
REMAIN INDOORS